The following questions are things you want to have a fairly firm answer before shopping for an editor. These are structural questions and not content questions. When shopping for an editor these are the kinds of questions they will ask and you will want to be prepared to answer. Nothing makes you feel more like the ninth grader who is not prepared for an oral quiz then not having a good answer on the details about your own work.
- What is the estimated word count for the entire work?
- Will the work be paperback or hardcover?
- Will you have an index?
- What deadline are you working toward for the completed work/edit of the draft?
- What deadline are you working toward for completion of all revisions?
- How many charts, tables, graphics, etc will be sent ?
- Do you have citations and references? If so, what style will you wish to employ?
- Will you have footnotes?